Thursday, November 13, 2008

Fleshly sins

Masturbation is like "Down syndrome!"

Believers in Christ who masturbate should cry out to God for help!

Why draw a parallel between masturbation and "down syndrome"?

In Romans 7, Paul the Apostle hints of his inability to overcome a particular shortcoming, which he linked to his body. He stated in Romans 7:15-25 that he was compelled to act against his wish, a phenomenon aptly called "the law of sin and death."

Paul cried out for help, asking "who shall deliver me from this body of death?" Even though the word "covet" or "desire", as used in some translations to depict the problem of the apostle of Christ, has no bearing to masturbation, the frustration aired by him, however, is highly suggestive that his problem was "masturbation."

Paul said in Romans 7:15: "For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that I do." - KJV. For better translation, ESV says: For I do not understand my own actions. For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate.

It is my belief that every one who masturbates, especially Christians, can identify with Paul. However, after Paul admitted his inability to overcome the flesh, he went ahead to sound a note of victory in Romans 8:1.

When people masturbate or fall short of what they hold to be God's standard, often times they promise God that such action would not repeat itself, only to fall again and again. They find themselves in a vicious cycle of "rising and falling" with resolves not to fall again. But they soon fall. Some have given up, believing that it is impossible to overcome masturbation; while some are still struggling, thinking that with more efforts, they would overcome.

Overcoming masturbation or any other nagging sin is NOT BY struggling or by resolving not to indulge in it, and neither is it by promising God that the flesh would be crucified. God never asked us to crucify the flesh as many preachers and teachers teach. What the Bible says is that we should mortify the deeds of the body:

"For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live." - Romans 8:13

Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth; fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry -" Colossians 3:5

So, how can the believer in Christ be delivered from masturbation?

The process is quite simple, but the journey is painstaking. The hindrance to deliverance is that many people still consider themselves to be good; they think holiness is attained by human efforts and resolution. This is why God allows me to fall over and again until they reach a breaking point. A point where they conclude the following:

1. In me dwells no good thing.

2. No matter how I try, I cannot overcome.

3. For by strength I cannot overcome.

4. Help me Lord to overcome this habit! (No help came)

5. Have mercy on my soul, Lord!

Finally:

6. Thank you Lord for saving me by your Grace; I stop trying to overcome by myself!

Until you arrive at point#6 and stay there, help would remain elusive. Romans 8:1 is Paul's way of victory, yours cannot be different!

It's then that deliverance will come! And do you know the form the deliverance will take? It will start in form of inner strength that seems to be greater than the consequence of falling. Even when you fall, your fellowship with God remains intact! And it's not that God approves of your fallen state - not at all, it is just that with time you will receive GRACE to deny the urge to masturbate.

I know this has being a very controversial issue for some of my friends and also some people i know. i hope this helps and i hope God delivers all of us from any fleshly battle we are encountering. AMEN!!

Determination is the key to success...ME

1 comment:

Cappuccine Baby said...

Lmao at the comparison! Doesn syndrome ke!? Hehehehe